Cooking & Nutrition
Welcome to the Kingsmead School Food Technology & Catering learning team.
At Key Stage 3 (Year 7 & 8) students prepare and cook a variety of dishes related to healthy eating, learn about safety & hygiene in the kitchen and investigate where our food comes from through home learning projects. They complete 2 rotations and all home learning is set on Firefly.
Key Stage 4 students are studying food and cookery. This qualification is designed for learners with an interest in food and cookery. It will provide learners with experience of using different cooking techniques and methods to enable them to use these within further education or apprenticeships. It will give them a basic understanding of the skills required for a career in food.
This qualification aims to:
- Focus on an applied study of the food and cookery sector
- Offer breadth and depth of study, incorporating a significant core of knowledge and theoretical content with broad-ranging applicability
- Provide opportunities to acquire a number of practical and technical skills.
The objectives of this qualification are to help learners to:
- Prepare and cook using basic skills
- Understand food and its functions in the body and in recipes
- Understand balanced diets and modification of recipes for health
- Plan and produce dishes for a purpose.
Students in Year 11 are studying GCSE Catering with the last exam for this course in 2017. This is a practical vocationally related course which covers all aspects of the catering industry. They learn to cook a wide variety of products suitable to be eaten by the public. They also complete 2 controlled assessments, one in Year 10 and the other in Year 11. This represents 60% of the final grade, with the remaining 40% as an external written examination taken at the end of Year 11.