Safeguarding Statement 2016-17
The Safeguarding and Welfare of children and young people is the very highest priority of all staff at Kingsmead School.
We believe that students have a right to learn in a supportive, caring and safe environment which includes the right to protection from all types of abuse.
Staff are vigilant for signs of any student in distress and are confident in applying our Safeguarding and Child Protection procedures.
Safeguarding legislation and government guidance says that safeguarding means:
- Protecting children from maltreatment
- Preventing impairment of children's health or development
- Ensuring that children are growing up in circumstances consistent with the provision of safe and effective care
- Taking action to enable all children and young people to have the best outcome
The school's Safeguarding and Child Protection Team consists of: Mr Andy Dunnett (Designated Safeguarding Lead), Mrs Mo Colley (Deputy DSL), Mrs Julie Elmy (Safeguarding Trained) and Mr Mark Williams (Safeguarding Trained and Online Safety Lead).
The school safeguards students with specific reference to the following Department for Education statutory documents:
- Working Together to Safeguard Children (2015)
- Keeping Children Safe in Education (2016)
- The Prevent Duty (2015)
The Safeguarding and Child Protection Policy is available to parents and students on the school website here.
All staff receive annual Safeguarding and Child Protection update training and are aware of the procedures for passing on concerns within school.
If any members of the school or local community have concerns about the welfare of a young person in the school, please pass them on to a member of the School’s Safeguarding and Child Protection Team.