The Phase Structure
At Kingsmead, we have developed a phase structure of support for our students. It is a framework which combines academic support and pastoral care to ensure that all students have their progress systematically monitored across all five years. Systematic monitoring allows us to carry out detailed forensic examinations of individual progress and to plan effective teaching and intervention strategy to ensure all students make progress which is at least commensurate with their ability and potential.
There are three distinct phases:
- The Establishment Phase which comprise Year 7 and Year 8 students. This is the time when students build upon learning from primary school and add it to the acquisition of skills, knowledge and understanding that become gradually more complex as they encounter them at Kingsmead. It is also a time of preparation for the choosing of option subjects at the end of Year 8.
- Phase Leader/Assistant Head Teacher – Ross Porter
- Leader of Student Support Year 7 – Beth Newmarch
- Leader of Student Support Year 8 – Anna Cox
- Admin Support – Loo Fudge
- The Advancement Phase combines Years 9 and 10. During this phase, learning becomes increasingly subject specific as students move towards exams. The intrinsic learning will be increasingly sophisticated and demanding as students engage with higher level concepts which require deeper understanding through yet more varied and challenging teaching.
- Phase Leader/Assistant Head Teacher and Leader of Student Support Year 10 – Polly Stephenson
- Leader of Student Support Year 9 – John Norman
- Admin Support – Jane Valentine
- The Realisation Phase is Year 11. This will be the students’ final year at Kingsmead and the focus has to be examination success. Learning will be geared towards exam preparation and monitoring will be finely tuned to give every student every chance to leave the school with the best set of exam results possible for them.
- Phase Leader/Leader of Achievement/Careers & Assistant Head Teacher – Charlie Pierce
- Leader of Student Support Year 11– Suzy Hake
- Admin Support – Elaine Barrowman
Vital to the success of this structure and therefore the students are the form tutors who work hard to know all of their tutees to determine the correct type and level of support over the full five years.