Careers and Training Advice & Guidance
There is a comprehensive programme of careers education available at Kingsmead School. Every student has at least one careers related challenge day from year 8 through to 11. Each of these involves representatives of industry speaking from first-hand experience about opportunities within their field of employment.
There are opportunities to visit major employers such as Hinkley Point C both within the curriculum and challenge day programme. Regional employers and all colleges across Somerset take assemblies during years 10 and 11. Both bodies are also available to speak to students at optional lunchtime seminars about the opportunities available to them upon leaving Kingsmead.
A range of important information such as open evening dates in all Somerset Colleges can be found on the SLP / Firefly. Students are provided with college prospectuses and can browse university prospectuses in tutor time. In years 10 and 11 all students have the opportunity to attend a one to one interview with a qualified Careers Advisor. At the start or Year 10 and 11 all parents are invited to a college/careers fair at the ‘Supporting Your Child’ evening. Towards the end of Year 11 all students also attend a transition event to prepare them to join their chosen college.
In summary, fulfil our statutory duty to deliver CEIAG from Years 8-11 through:
- Interviews with the Kingsmead Careers Advisor
- Work experience
- Challenge Days led by representatives of business and industry
- Assemblies/ careers fairs led by representatives from colleges, business and industry
- The Kingsmead careers library and online careers resources accessed through the learning platform / internet
- Support in preparation for Work Experience (Year 10) and College Applications (Year 11)
- Attendance at college ‘taster days’
- Use of U-Explore, our online careers platform
Students can see Mr Pierce should they have any further Careers Advice and Guidance needs.