Careers and Training Advice & Guidance
There is a comprehensive program of careers education available at Kingsmead School. Every student receives a 1 to 1 Careers Interview with a qualified external Careers Advisor. Parents are welcome to attend these meetings by prior arrangement. Every student has at least one careers related challenge day from year 8 through to 10. Each of these involves representatives of industry speaking from first-hand experience about opportunities within their field of employment.
Regional employers and all colleges across Somerset and beyond take assemblies during years 10 and 11. Both bodies are also available to speak to students at optional lunchtime seminars about the opportunities available to them upon leaving Kingsmead. At the start or Year 10 and 11 all parents are invited to a college/careers fair at the ‘Supporting Your Child’ evening. This has over 20 college and industry representatives in attendance. Towards the end of Year 11 all students also attend a transition event to prepare them to join their chosen college.
A range of important information such as open evening dates in all Somerset Colleges can be found on Firefly > Resources > Applied Learning > Careers. Students are provided with college prospectuses and can browse university prospectuses in tutor time.
Summary – Careers @ Kingsmead:
- Interviews with the Kingsmead Careers Advisor
- Work experience in Year 10
- Challenge Days led by representatives of business and industry
- Assemblies/ careers fairs led by representatives from colleges, business and industry
- The Kingsmead careers library and online careers resources accessed through Firefly
- Support in preparation for Work Experience (Year 10) and College Applications (Year 11)
- Attendance at college ‘taster days’
- Students can see Mr Pierce should they have any further Careers Advice and Guidance needs.